Malware Analysis Training

Hi all! I thought it might be good to create a thread of useful malware analysis training sites. I am currently taking the Practical Malware Analysis and Triage course at https://academy.tcm-sec.com/
The course is very reasonably priced. I just started it, so I can’t give a lot of info yet but what I’ve seen in the analysis environment setup is good.

1 Like

Really enjoying this course, so far. In the class, you use the FlareVM as well as Remnux. I’ve used both before just messing around, but this is the first class I’ve taken specifically about malware triage and analysis.
If anyone else is taking or giving training, I’d love to hear about what you’re doing.

Another good primer for basic malware analysis is available in The Hitchhiker’s Guide to DFIR
This isn’t an in-depth, expert level chapter in the book. Rather, it’s a great first exposure to concepts and tools for noobs.

I had to take a short break from the class due to other responsibilities, but I got back to it today. A seasoned pro wouldn’t get much from what I’ve seen so far, but new and low experienced people will enjoy it.
Today I went through the first part of the Basic Static and Basic Dynamic analysis portions of the course. Pretty fun and good info. Some stuff I already knew, while other things I used to know and had to re-learn. A few things were completely new to me as well.

Spent pretty much the entire day today working on this course. My brain is fried, but it was a lot of fun. Takes days like this to teach you that you don’t know near what you thought you did.

I completed this course today. If you’re a seasoned vet in the area of malware analysis, you probably won’t get much out of the class. However, if you’re new to the topic or someone who’s just played around with malware analysis in the past, this is an excellent course on the subject.